The Department of Agriculture may voluntarily register service agencies and service technicians. This certification program is intended to allow owners of commercially used weighing and measuring devices to immediately place into service those devices that have been installed, serviced or repaired by a service technician or service agency registered with the Department.
Types of businesses that may use a service agency/service technician to have devices installed, serviced or repaired include gasoline stations, grocery stores, meat markets, candy stores, package shipping stores, quarries, hardware stores, petroleum distributors and other businesses that use a commercial weighing or measuring device.
STATE: Agriculture Article 11-203(a)(3), COMAR 15.03.11
- A person seeking certification can obtain the appropriate form and make application to the Department,
- The service agency and service technician will pay a one time application fee of $25.
- A service agency must provide a copy of their test/service report forms.
- A service agency must also provide a copy of the most recent certificate(s) showing that their standards have been submitted to and approved by the Maryland Weights and Measures Laboratory, NIST or other NIST approved state metrology laboratory.
- Registered service agencies and service technicians will be added to a list that will be published by the Department.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR SERVICE AGENCY
Upon receiving the application forms, certificates and any other information, the submitted materials will be reviewed by State Weights and Measures personnel. Applicants will be notified of any deficiencies and those must be corrected. Upon completion of the review the service agency must pay the biennial registration fee of $200.00. The applicant will be assigned a registration number and receive a certificate.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Upon receiving the application forms State Weights and Measures personnel will review the information. The applicant must work for a registered Service Agency. The applicant must pass the qualifying examination. After passing the examination the applicant must pay the biennial registration fee of $50.00. The applicant will be assigned a registration number and receive a wallet size ID registration.