The Maryland Pesticide Reporting and Information Workgroup was created during the 2013 legislative session and is staffed by the Maryland Department of Agriculture (MDA). The primary charge of the workgroup is to identify any data gaps in pesticide use and reporting that need to be filled and how best to fill them. The workgroup’s recommendations are due back to the General Assembly by summer of 2014. An interim report will be completed in December 2013. (Scroll down to see materials distributed at each meeting.)
Workgroup members were appointed by House Speaker Michael Busch and Senate President Mike Miller. Membership also includes representatives from MDA, and the Maryland Departments of Health and Mental Hygiene, Natural Resources and Environment. MDA’s Director of Government Relations Joanna Kille and Pesticide Regulation Program Manager Dennis Howard staff the committee.
Read the Workgroup's Interim Report
, submitted January 2014.
Work group co-chairs are Delegate Stephen Lafferty and Senator Roger Manno.
Workgroup members are:
The workgroup met Dec. 19, 2013. Materials distributed during the meeting are posted below.
- Joe Bartenfelder, owner, Bartenfelder Farms
- Ruth Berlin, Executive Director, Maryland Pesticide Network
- William W. Bowerman, Ph.D., Chair, Department of Environmental Science and Technology, University of Maryland, College Park
- Andy Fellows, Chesapeake Regional Director, Clean Water Action
- Sherm Garrison, Program Manager, Water and Habitat Quality, Maryland Department of Natural Resources
- Carol Holko, Assistant Secretary Plant Industries and Pest Management, Maryland Department of Agriculture
- J.B. Jennings, Maryland State Senate
- Frederick W. Kutz, Ph.D., Chair, Pesticide Advisory Committee, Maryland Department of Agriculture; and Senior Research Associate, Towson University
- Judy S. LaKind, Ph.D., President, LaKind Associates, LLC, Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Maryland School of Medicine; and Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
- Clifford Mitchell, M.D., Director, Environmental Health Bureau, Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- Jed Miller, M.D., Physician Program Staff, Science Services Administration, Maryland Department of the Environment
- Doug Myers, Senior Scientist, Chesapeake Bay Foundation
- Charles Otto, member, Maryland House of Delegates
- Ronald L. Ritter, Ph.D. Professor Emeritus PSLA, University of Maryland College Park
- Brian Schoonmaker, Vice President, Capitol Pest
- Julie Spagnoli, Senior Management Regulatory Consultant, Exponent, Inc.
- Andrea Kidd Taylor, Ph.D., Lecturer, Department of Health Policy and Management SCHP, Morgan State University
- Steve Weber, Owner, Weber’s Cider Mill Farm
The workgroup met Nov. 14, 2013. Materials distributed during the meeting are posted below.
The workgroup met Oct. 17, 2013. Materials distributed during the meeting are posted below.
The workgroup met Sept. 26, 2013. Materials distributed during the meeting are posted below.
Pesticides in Ground Water of Central and Western Maryland
Pesticides in Groundwater of the Maryland Coastal Plain
Pesticides in Groundwater of the Maryland Peidmont
Synthesis of U.S. Geological Survey Science for the Chesapeake Bay Ecosystem and Implications for Environmental Management, Chapter 8: The Occurrence of Pesticides in the Bay Watershed
The workgroup held its second meeting on August 12, 2013. Materials distributed during that meeting are posted below.
The workgroup held its first meeting July 9, 2013. Materials distributed during that meeting are posted below.