Weed Control Program
Noxious Weeds in Maryland
Prohibited noxious weeds are annual, biennial, or perennial plants that the Secretary of Agriculture has designated as having adverse or threatening affects to agricultural production throughout the State. There are currently eight plant species that have been designated as noxious weeds in Maryland. Maryland law requires that these weeds not be allowed to produce seed. There are as follows:
- Bull Thistle, Cirsium vulgare, designated in 1984
- Canada Thistle, Circium arvense, designated in 1984
- Johnsongrass, Sorghum halepense, designated in 1969
- Musk/Knodding Thistle, Carduus nutans, designated in 1984
- Palmer amaranth, Amaranthus palmeri, designated in 2020
- Plumeless Thistle, Carduus acanthoides, designated in 1984
- Shattercane, Sorghum bicolor, designated in 1987
- Tall Waterhemp, Amaranthus tuberculatus, A. rudis, designated in 2020
Click here for a copy of Maryland's Noxious Weed Law.
Click here for a copy of Maryland's Noxious Weed Regulations.
Maryland Weed Control Law
The MDA Weed Control Program enforces the Maryland Weed Control Law and assists farmers or landowners in the battle against the eight designated noxious weeds.
The Law requires landowners to eradicate or control noxious weeds on all types of land. Control methods include mowing, cultivating, or treating with an approved herbicide. Each year, MDA enters into an agreement with participating Counties to provide technical assistance to County Weed Control Coordinators and landowners.
Click here for a map depicting which County's currently participate in this partnership. For County Weed Control Coordinator information, please contact your region's Agricultural Inspector noted below.
For more information on your County's Weed Control program and to report noxious weeds along County or State roads, please contact your County's Weed Coordinator.
For assistance with weed identification, contact your local University of Maryland Extension office at: https://extension.umd.edu/locations
If you have questions, comments, need assistance or if you know of a site where noxious weeds are growing, please contact:
- Central/Western Maryland: Susi Ponce Susi.Ponce@maryland.gov or 443-591-6970
- Lower Eastern Shore: Victoria Spice Victoria.Spice@maryland.gov or 667-500-3450
- Southern Maryland: Andrew Bowles Andrew.Bowles@maryland.gov or 667-500-3451 or
- Upper Shore or other inquiries: contact Jim Calao, Program Administrator, at Jim.Calao@maryland.gov or 410-562-3054
All calls will be handled confidentially.