Tips for Avoiding Mosquito Bites
- Avoid areas of high mosquito infestation.
- Avoid unnecessary outdoor activities at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are most active.
- Wear long pants, long-sleeve shirt and hat when outdoors.
- Use mosquito repellents containing DEET. Consult a physician before applying DEET to
- Restrict the outdoor play of your children if mosquitoes are present.
- Drain all water-holding outdoor containers around the home.
- Inspect basements and crawl spaces. If they are flooded, drain as quickly as possible.
- The very young, the elderly and persons with depressed immune systems are at most risk for
acquiring disease from mosquito bites.
Contact the Mosquito Control Section of the Maryland Department of Agriculture, 410-
841-5870, for additional assistance and advice.