So You Want to be an RVT

There are two ways to become licensed as a Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) in Maryland. The first is to graduate from an AVMA-accredited Veterinary Technology Program. The second is to acquire signficant education and experience. For specific requirements, read on. 

For graduates of an AVMA-accredited Veterinary Technology Program. 

The following items are required to apply for licensure in Maryland.

Test Scores: To apply for licensure, you must first take and pass the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE). For information on applying to take the VTNE, visit: or call the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB) at (816) 931-1504. The VTNE is offered during three testing windows at five locations in Maryland and two in Washington D.C.
  1. If you have already taken and passed the VTNE and you sat for this exam in Maryland, your scores will be transferred to us automatically. 
  2. If you have already taken and passed the VTNE but did not sit for the exam in Maryland, you are responsible for having your score transferred to us by the Veterinary Technician Information
    Verifying Agency (TIVA), which is affiliated with the AAVSB
Transcripts: Provide the State Board with a final transcript from your AVMA-accredited veterinary technology program.  This document should be sent directly from the college to the Board office.  If you are supplying us with this document, it must be submitted in an envelope with an unbroken seal from the college.

Photograph: One headshot, about 2" x 3", taken within the past 6 months, must be uploaded.

Letters of Good Standing, if applicable: If you are now licensed, or have ever been licensed, in another state or jurisdiction, Letters of Good Standing or registration verification must be sent to us directly from all other State Boards and/or any other jurisdiction where you were licensed. These letters may be emailed from an official state office; however, faxes are not accepted.

Documentation if you have any pending or past disciplinary action with another state Board or if you have any criminal convictions (other than minor traffic violations), you must provide all related documentation..

Applicants who are not a graduate of an AVMA-accredited Veterinary Technology Program.  

If you have not graduated from an accredited Vet Tech Program but want to be licensed as an RVT, all items below must be submitted before you can sit for the VTNE. 

Apply here to take the VTNE

Transcripts: Provide the State Board with a final transcript showing that you hold an associate's degree or higher level degree. This document should be sent directly from the college to the SBVME's office. If you are supplying the SBVME with this document, it must be submitted in an envelope with an unbroken seal from the college. NOTE! Your transcripts must include a minimum of three credits with a passing grade of C or above in each of the following college level courses:

  • Biology I and II;
  • Microbiology;
  • Chemistry;
  • Anatomy and Physiology I and II. 

Skills Assessment. Submit a Technician Skill Set Assessment, that has been completed and signed by a licensed veterinarian who has worked with and has extensive knowledge of the applicant’s abilities. Applicants are expected to perform all duties listed. The applicant should provide the reviewing veterinarian with an addressed, stamped envelope and should not be returned to the applicant. The veterinarian should sign across the back of the seal before mailing. 

Proof of Work Experience: Proof of completion of 10,000 hours of work experience as a technician, with a signed affidavit from a supervising veterinarian specifying the number of hours worked and the dates worked; 

Proof of Continuing Education: Proof of having completed a minimum of 24 hours of veterinary technician continuing education; 

Proof of Emergency Experience:  Proof of having completed a minimum of 24 hours of work as a veterinary technician in a veterinary emergency facility. ​

Test Scores: After the State Board has received and reviewed all the required documentation (above), a determination will be made as to your eligibility to sit the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE). If you are approved, you will be notified by the state Board. You will then have to mak​e arrangement to take the exam. For information, see: or call​ the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB) at (816) 931-1504.

Tonya Kendrick
​Licensing Administrator
410-841-5796 or 5862


  • Application fee: $100
  • Reinstatement fee: $100
  • Renewal fee: $100

Veterinary Technicians:

Apply to take the VTNE here. (Note This is NOT an application for a license. This is an application that must be approved before you can sit for the VTNE.)

Celebrating Diversity Award: 
This award is presented by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards​ to a Veterinary Technician student from an AVMA-CVTEA or CVMA accredited veterinary technology/nursing program who is expected to graduate no later than June of the calendar year. This award will be presented to a minority student who has been traditionally underrepresented in the veterinary technician profession, inclusive of Black/African American, American Indians and Alaska Natives, Asians and Pacific Islanders, Hispanic/Latinx, gender, LGBTQ and students with disabilities. For more info.​

Questions about becoming a registered veterinary technician may be directed to the SBVME's office at (410) 841-5862.

Human Trafficking GET HELP

National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 233733 More Information
on human trafficking in Maryland

Customer Service Promise

The State of Maryland pledges to provide constituents, businesses, customers, and stakeholders with friendly and courteous, timely and responsive, accurate and consistent, accessible and convenient, and truthful and transparent services.

Take Our Survey

Help Stop Fraud in State Government

The Maryland General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources.

More Information