Frequently Asked Questions

For Consumers:

Can I receive information regarding complaints filed against specific veterinarians?

The Board, in accordance with Maryland's Public Information Act, may only provide information concerning formal disciplinary action taken against a licensee. Formal disciplinary action taken by the Board may include, but is not limited to, the following: censuring, issuing civil penalties, probation, suspension, revocation, or a requirement that the licensee obtain additional education in a particular area of veterinary medicine.

If you wish to learn whether a particular veterinarian has been formally disciplined by the Board, your request must be made in writing to the Board.

Can only my veterinarian sell me medication, or can I have a prescription filled elsewhere?

If a veterinarian-client-patient relationship exists, and your veterinarian is willing to dispense a particular medication to you for your pet, upon your request, your veterinarian cannot refuse to provide you a written prescription for that medication if you choose to purchase it elsewhere.

My veterinarian will not release a copy of my pet's records to me. Do I have any recourse?

Although records are the property of the veterinary practice for whom the records were made, upon request by a patient's owner, the veterinarian is required to release a copy of an animal's written record to you or a subsequent treatment veterinarian. The veterinarian may require you to pay the reasonable cost of providing the records. If the veterinarian has original, non-written records, such as radiographs, photographs, or electrocardiograms, upon your request, the veterinarian shall release these to a subsequent treating veterinarian. These non-written records shall be returned to the original veterinarian within 30 days of their receipt, or until such time as agreed to by the parties.

​For Veterinarians

What should I do if I am the Responsible Veterinarian and I leave the shelter, hospital or practice?
​If you are a Responsible Veterinarian leaving a practice, you must write a letter to the Board within 30 days stating that you are no longer the responsible vet at that practice. Be sure that the facility you are leaving or its new incoming vet has their own DEA license and MD Controlled Dangerous Substances (CDS) permit so that the facility is not using yours.

Additionally, the practice you are leaving also needs to write a letter to the Board stating that you are no longer the responsible vet at their facility and telling the Board who the new responsible vet. A hospital or shelter that operates without a responsible veterinarian is in violation of state regulations and can be fined.  

The new responsible vet must also notify the Board in writing that they are the new responsible vet and that they have read the Board's regulations and understand the hours and responsibilities are of that position. See definition of "Responsible Veterinarian."​

Human Trafficking GET HELP

National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 233733 More Information
on human trafficking in Maryland

Customer Service Promise

The State of Maryland pledges to provide constituents, businesses, customers, and stakeholders with friendly and courteous, timely and responsive, accurate and consistent, accessible and convenient, and truthful and transparent services.

Take Our Survey

Help Stop Fraud in State Government

The Maryland General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources.

More Information